October 17, 2010

Trying to Understand 'Hurt Feelings'

Here are 4 definitions of 'offend' found in the dictionary:
  • to cause difficulty, discomfort, or injury
  • to cause dislike, anger, or vexation
  • to cause pain: to hurt
  • to cause to feel vexation or resentment
Jesus spoke to His disciples and said, 'It is impossible that no offences should come...'. Whether we expect it or not, offence will come. Most likely, we will not be prepared for it when it does happen. Our attitude regarding the offence, the pain or the hurt will determine the effect that it has on us.
 
I wrote a few days ago about how the pain is much more deep and real when you are hurt or offended by those you are closest. I have always heard that you are hurt (or hurt) by the ones you love the most. This is true. I know for me personally, if someone that I'm not close to does something to offend me, well lets just say, I don't lose any sleep over that person or the situation. I may find it frustrating, perhaps a little distracting, but that is about as far as it goes.
 
After looking at the definitions of 'offend' it has caused me to want to go deeper in the subject. I have been doing personal Bible studies on this topic for some time now. But, I feel the need to share. I know that so many people deal with hurt feelings, painful memories, bitterness and anger, and on and on. So, over the next few days or weeks you will probably see more about this subject from me. I welcome anyone that wants to participate or share.
 
Until then, be blessed 'Fountain of Life' friends!
 
~Stacey

No comments:

Post a Comment